Three things to know if you're a parent

We all hope our relationships will last, but sometimes they don't.

Ending a relationship can be hard. And it will be harder if you have children.

Who will look after them? How much contact will you have with them?

When you get divorced

1. You can have contact with your child

As a parent, you can have contact with your child—as long as it's the best thing for them. Try to agree with your partner and child how much contact you have and when you spend time together.

2. You can agree with your partner about where your child is going to live

You could ask your child where they want to live and how much time they want to spend with each of you. You and your partner might agree to your child's wishes. Or you might agree to handle things another way in your child's best interests.

3. You can get help to reach agreement

If you and your partner can't agree where your child is going to live, think about seeing a mediator. A mediator could help you avoid going to court, and save you time and money. Mediation alone is sometimes enough to resolve a dispute. Or mediation can cut down the time you need to spend in court.

Read more about family problems.

To find out who can give you legal advice, see our types of lawyers page.

For free advice on family law or child law, call Corum Children's Legal Centre.

Family law

Your Comments

Adenike Owojori says:

Thu, 03/30/2017 - 11:51
I am looking into getting a divorce. My husband and I have not lived together for 11 years. We have grown up children so there won't be an issue regarding custody. I just want to be free of the marriage. I need information on costs, and time frame. I would appreciate it if you can get back to me regarding my enquiry. I look forward to hearing from you.

Seemaab Naseem says:

Fri, 03/31/2017 - 16:30

In reply to by Adenike Owojori

If you are having problems in your marriage it's worth knowing who could help you and what support is available. See our Family page for more information, including the type of lawyers who could help you:

For help with legal costs, see our costs page:

Judith Owen says:

Mon, 07/08/2019 - 15:18
Iv miss layed my absoulute and urgently need it to get remarried my solisitors is now gone what can i do iv only got 3 weeks to get it HELP

Pavitri.Tailor… says:

Wed, 07/17/2019 - 08:36

In reply to by Judith Owen

Hi Judith

Have you tried to get a copy of your decree absolute or final order? You can order one via the below link.

Many thanks

Legal Choices

Gillian Frazer says:

Tue, 09/10/2019 - 01:33
Can I apply for a divorce myself or do I have to have a solicitor??
I don’t think my ex-husband will object to it.

Pavitri.Tailor… says:

Mon, 09/23/2019 - 13:34

In reply to by Gillian Frazer

Hi Gillian,

Essentially you can apply for divorce online, please see some listed links below which may be of use.


Legal Choices Team

Coli says:

Wed, 11/27/2019 - 21:19
I'm trying to get divorced. I've told my husband that all I want is the house deposit that I put when we bought the house. He's made me sign a piece of paper saying that he's giving me the sum, but still hasn't made a payment yet. I've been approved a mortgage and been accepted an offer in a house which will be ready for exchange in a few weeks time. When I've asked my husband why he's not paying yet he said that he's sent the letter to his solicitor to legalise. I'd like to know how long does it take for paperwork to be legalised and also if I borrow money to pay for the house deposit and move out can he refuse to pay altogether and get away with it? We've been married 11 years and have a 9 year old.
Thank you

Leave a comment

Please note: your email address will not be published, it is for verification purposes only.