There are over 15,000 barristers practising law in England and Wales.

Barristers provide specialist advice and representation in legal disputes, including representing their clients in court cases.

Often, if you have instructed a solicitor or another type of lawyer, they will find and appoint a suitable barrister for you.

However, nowadays you can also approach many barristers directly to get help without needing to go through another lawyer first. This is known a 'Public Access', or 'Direct Access'.

As well as advising and representing you in court cases, Public Access barristers can help you with things like drafting legal documents, or giving specialist advice on a particular area of law.

But where can you find a suitable barrister? And how do you know if the barrister you are thinking of instructing, is an expert in the area of law that you need help with?

Well, the Bar Council – the professional body which represents barristers – has recently launched a new online Direct Access portal. It is an easy way to find and contact specialist Direct Access Barristers, Mediators and Arbitrators.

The Bar Standards Board (BSB) regulates all barristers. It sets the rules for what a barrister learns and how they must do things. All barristers must be registered in order to give legal advice. You can check whether a barrister is registered using the BSB's online Barristers' Register. It can display details of all barristers who are authorised to practise in England and Wales.

Finally, if you are not sure if the person who you are dealing with is really a barrister, we have a page that can help you.

Your Comments

James Barnet says:

Tue, 02/21/2017 - 15:26
We require assistance with an appeal against us for a non party cost order.
The judge had adjourned the trial as our Director did not attend the hearing but our director wasn’t need to attend by any court order nor did the Defendant made any application requiring our Director to attend. The judge took the view that our director should have attended in any event albeit not being on notice. HHJ Boucher adjourned the hearing and made order against us t pay the cost of adjournment.
We feel the judge was erred in her decision.

Also at the same hearing the Judge HHJ Boucher allowed one of our application to succeed but ordered the cost against us.

We seek assistance :
1) Appeal the order of costs
2) Appeal the order of costs for the application
3) Make an application to change judge as we do not feel we will get a fair trial at the hands of this judge.

Seemaab Naseem says:

Fri, 03/31/2017 - 17:51

In reply to by James Barnet

It may be worth taking a look at our costs lawyers page to see if they could help:

shuhel Ali says:

Tue, 07/11/2017 - 14:17

In reply to by James Barnet

Hi Sir/Madam,
I have some Questions to ask:

> What happens on first hearing in court and have you represent anyone like my self in court recently.
> I want barrister how do I do it.
> Do you do legal aid.
> How much cost.
> Do I have to prepare the paper work.
> Doe’s barrister act on my behalf in court.
> My hearing date set out on 7 August 2017.
> how cloud you help me with my paper work.

Seemaab Naseem says:

Wed, 07/26/2017 - 19:43

In reply to by shuhel Ali

You can find information on what a barrister can do to help you on our barristers page. Here you will also find direct links to where you can find a barrister. Once you have the details of a few barristers it would be worth asking them how they can help you and how much it would cost. This should help you decide who to choose.

Russell Bakth says:

Mon, 03/09/2020 - 21:05
Need advice on a judgment that went total wrong in a tribunal against local council .

Christopher Cooper says:

Thu, 04/09/2020 - 18:41
The site is great

Leave a comment

Please note: your email address will not be published, it is for verification purposes only.