Couples decide to go their separate ways or get divorced. Problems can also crop up between parents regarding their children. Getting legal advice can be one way of working things out.

Here are some ideas to point you in the right direction if you are in this type of situation.

Taking legal advice

If you know you're at the stage of needing legal advice about a family problem you could arrange to visit or have a phone call with a lawyer.

Have a look online or in your local phone directory to find a law firm that you can talk to about your situation. You can find information on the different types of lawyers that are out there, including information to help you find one.

If you decide to use a lawyer to represent you with your legal situation you will need to think about the costs of this.

Look at our Legal Costs information for help with paying for legal services.

Help from other organisations

If you aren't sure if you need legal help, or you just want some advice on your options, there are places you can turn to. 

You can search for your nearest Citizens Advice office, so that you can telephone, email or go and talk to someone in person. You can also look at the Citizens Advice advice page that might help you to work out what to do next.

Organisations like Relate can help you get advice and support you might want about family problems.

If you are planning to get a divorce from your partner, or are unmarried but have separated, you may need support with these legal issues. This includes dividing things you jointly own and are responsible for.

For people going through this process, the Money Helper guide sets out options for couples who were cohabitating.