If you are named as an executor or an administrator of someone's estate you might need to apply for a legal document called probate, or another permission called a letter of administration, before you can do anything with that estate.

Where to get Probate and letters of administration

Probate and letters of administration can be provided by local organisations called Probate Registries. You will need to apply for them though and provide information.

Where to get legal advice

This is not always the case though and if it is not clear it is best to take legal advice on the situation. Many people prefer to use a lawyer to help them take forward their probate requirements. You can find out more about different types of lawyers and how to find one in our types of lawyers page.

To get the facts and documents you need, you can visit HM Courts and Tribunals Service to get started. You can also get help from Citizens Advice's online guide