“Immigration” means arriving in a country to stay there for good.

By law, you may need a visa or permission of another kind to arrive in a new country with the aim of staying there for good. Most countries also have laws about entering for a holiday or to work or study.

Where can I learn about UK immigration law?

The UK government has up-to-date help on the law about moving to the UK.

Do I need a lawyer?

UK law says that the only people who can give immigration advice are:

  • immigration advisers registered with OISC (the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner)
  • some lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers and legal executives.

Immigration advisers and lawyers can help you apply to stay in the UK. If there are problems along the way, they can act for you.

Learn where to find an immigration adviser and what to expect.

Where can I get more information?

Citizens Advice helps many people who have immigration issues.