Three things to know if you're a parent

We all hope our relationships will last, but sometimes they don't.

Ending a relationship can be hard. And it will be harder if you have children.

Who will look after them? How much contact will you have with them?

When you get divorced

1. You can have contact with your child

As a parent, you can have contact with your child—as long as it's the best thing for them. Try to agree with your partner and child how much contact you have and when you spend time together.

2. You can agree with your partner about where your child is going to live

You could ask your child where they want to live and how much time they want to spend with each of you. You and your partner might agree to your child's wishes. Or you might agree to handle things another way in your child's best interests.

3. You can get help to reach agreement

If you and your partner can't agree where your child is going to live, think about seeing a mediator. A mediator could help you avoid going to court, and save you time and money. Mediation alone is sometimes enough to resolve a dispute. Or mediation can cut down the time you need to spend in court.

Read more about family problems.

To find out who can give you legal advice, see our types of lawyers page.

For free advice on family law or child law, call Corum Children's Legal Centre.

Legal Choices law dictionary

Need help understanding other terms that come up when getting divorced? Try the new Legal Choices law dictionary.

Family law

Your Comments

Adenike Owojori says:

Thu, 03/30/2017 - 11:51
I am looking into getting a divorce. My husband and I have not lived together for 11 years. We have grown up children so there won't be an issue regarding custody. I just want to be free of the marriage. I need information on costs, and time frame. I would appreciate it if you can get back to me regarding my enquiry. I look forward to hearing from you.

Seemaab Naseem says:

Fri, 03/31/2017 - 16:30

In reply to by Adenike Owojori

If you are having problems in your marriage it's worth knowing who could help you and what support is available. See our Family page for more information, including the type of lawyers who could help you:

For help with legal costs, see our costs page:

Sally stride says:

Sat, 02/22/2020 - 17:32

In reply to by Adenike Owojori

I’ve been separated from my husband for over three years .we have nothing to sort out just to organise and sign divorce papers .hie do we go about this and how much will it cost ?kind regards Sally

Jackie says:

Mon, 03/02/2020 - 13:22

In reply to by Adenike Owojori

Just go on line and do it yourself really easy and cost was 320.oo best money ever spent I say

Judith Owen says:

Mon, 07/08/2019 - 15:18
Iv miss layed my absoulute and urgently need it to get remarried my solisitors is now gone what can i do iv only got 3 weeks to get it HELP

Pavitri.Tailor… says:

Wed, 07/17/2019 - 08:36

In reply to by Judith Owen

Hi Judith

Have you tried to get a copy of your decree absolute or final order? You can order one via the below link.

Many thanks

Legal Choices

Gillian Frazer says:

Tue, 09/10/2019 - 01:33
Can I apply for a divorce myself or do I have to have a solicitor??
I don’t think my ex-husband will object to it.

Pavitri.Tailor… says:

Mon, 09/23/2019 - 13:34

In reply to by Gillian Frazer

Hi Gillian,

Essentially you can apply for divorce online, please see some listed links below which may be of use.


Legal Choices Team

Coli says:

Wed, 11/27/2019 - 21:19
I'm trying to get divorced. I've told my husband that all I want is the house deposit that I put when we bought the house. He's made me sign a piece of paper saying that he's giving me the sum, but still hasn't made a payment yet. I've been approved a mortgage and been accepted an offer in a house which will be ready for exchange in a few weeks time. When I've asked my husband why he's not paying yet he said that he's sent the letter to his solicitor to legalise. I'd like to know how long does it take for paperwork to be legalised and also if I borrow money to pay for the house deposit and move out can he refuse to pay altogether and get away with it? We've been married 11 years and have a 9 year old.
Thank you

Jennine says:

Sun, 02/23/2020 - 07:27
I got my divorce through nisi stage with a solicitor 7/8 years ago but for unknown reasons never absolute
.. that solicitor has moved can I get my divorce absoluted

Kevin says:

Mon, 02/24/2020 - 22:09
What if anything can we do if we do not want to be devoted, if we still want to be the family we set out to be and our relationship is in full swing... Why do People have to be divorced if they do not want to be ?

Gary Benson says:

Mon, 02/24/2020 - 22:30
I am a step father and have been told I can’t see my step children now that we are getting a divorce. Any advice would be appreciated.

Julie says:

Tue, 02/25/2020 - 13:43
I'm divorced now for nearly 16 years . How do I go about changing my name back to my maiden name please

Martin says:

Wed, 02/26/2020 - 05:14
The only people who benefit in a divorce are the solicitors. They like the grey areas so they can bump up there costs. They think they are correct about everything, but all they do is make the situation worse. They are the lowest form of life.

Maureen grimes says:

Thu, 02/27/2020 - 12:35
My son has a mortgage he has split up from his wife.he wants t come of the mortgage as he cant afford a place of his own .he is currently payi ng half the mortgage she is not working and they have a 10yr old daughter wat advise can u give please

Sara says:

Sat, 02/29/2020 - 16:44
Hi. We want I Divorce but been told to wait 2 years. Can we get a Divorce now with it the courts?

JoJo says:

Tue, 03/03/2020 - 03:09
Hi, my husband and I going through divorce now.
He left us two years ago and has very sporadic contact with our son( maximum twice a year- for a week) as he lives in Scotland now.I'm considering moving to another country( my country of birth) with my seven year old son.
What rights do I have if dad opposes this.
My reason for moving is to get family support.
Any legal issues I need to be aware of?
Many thanks.

Claire says:

Tue, 03/03/2020 - 08:14
My husband and children have duel Australian and UK citizenship. 2yrs ago We left the UK 2yrs ago to live in Adelaide. I have a permanent residence visa. I returned to the UK 6 month's ago without the children (aged 11 and 14) predominantly to care for my father (who has since passed), but also to have some space from my very unhappy marriage. I have begged my husband to come back to the UK for us to make a fresh start back in the UK. I was so unhappy in Australia with little job prospects and no friends or family. My husband initially said we could come back to the UK if I wasn't happy in Australia but now he's saying he's will never return the the UK. My father left us his house, financially we are better off in the UK. We have spent almost £40 thousand pounds in rent these past two years. He has just signed a 12month lease in Adelaide which will cost £28 thousand pounds. Our life savings are dwindling due to high rent costs. More importantly what rights do I have regarding my children?? I was so mentally unwell in Adelaide, I am too scared to return, but I'm desperate to be with my boys. I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you Claire

Roland Dare says:

Thu, 03/05/2020 - 09:56
I have been separated from my wife for 2 years now and want a divorce
Unfortunately l have no idea where she lives now and have no means of contacting her at all
What can l do?

Leave a comment

Please note: your email address will not be published, it is for verification purposes only.