In the legal market place, you will find different types of lawyers who offer legal services that can help you.

If you want to save some money, you can do this by doing some of your legal work yourself and then getting a lawyer to check it to make sure that it is correct. This is often called an unbundled service.

Some people offer legal services as a part of a deal which involves them providing another service like tax advice. These people may be regulated.

For example, chartered accountants are regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales or the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.

This means, their regulator needs them to meet certain service standards that are a set of rules.

This also means that their clients have certain protections offered to them. These can be from professional insurance to the right to complain if something goes wrong.

Other people giving legal advice may not offer the same protections. They may describe themselves as a specialist.

When you are looking at providers, remember to check their qualifications and find out what rules they or their firm have to follow.

You can ask who their regulator is. So you can find out how to make a complaint if you need to, and you can check what protections you will have if things go wrong.

See my legal options if you want to know what you can do and what protections cover you if you have a problem with a lawyer.

In this section, you can also find out about DIY legal work. This will help if you are thinking about doing your legal work yourself.